When you take good care of something, it tends to last longer. This is usually true for cars, homes, appliances, and vacuums. ProTeam backpack vacuums are no exception. While these units are known for their long lifespan, they perform better and last even longer with proper maintenance.
Help ensure your ProTeam backpack unit works optimally by paying attention to a few things— filters, cord care, and proper storage. To make caring for your units easy, we have removed all the guesswork regarding routine maintenance.
Care for Your Vacuum’s Motor by Taking Care of Your Vacuum’s Filters
ProTeam vacuums operate with powerful suction. Appropriate airflow is dependent upon clean and properly functioning filters. While the primary purpose of the filters is to capture and contain dust, dirt, and other particles, they also help prevent debris from damaging the motor. Never use a ProTeam backpack vacuum without filters in place.
The filtration system of most ProTeam backpack vacuums is comprised of four different filters:
- Intercept Micro Filter
- Micro Cloth Filter
- Dome Filter
- Post-Motor HEPA Media Filter
To make sure your backpack unit’s motor can function at peak performance, follow these guidelines for filter maintenance.
For the Intercept Micro Filter
- Empty and inspect the Intercept Micro Filter every time you start and finish vacuuming
- Replace the filter if any tears or clogged pores are present
For the Micro Cloth Filter
- Daily check for tears in the rubber gasket or cloth
- Hand or machine wash once a month and let the filter AIR dry (do not put in a dryer or use fabric softener)
For the Dome Filter
- This should be cleaned weekly
- Shake out, rinse the foam filter, and let it AIR dry
For HEPA Media Filter
- Inspect these filters monthly and replace them when they become discolored
Following these guidelines for filter maintenance will help you get the most out of your ProTeam backpack vacuum. For complete information please review the vacuum’s owner manual.
In addition to caring for your unit’s filters, you should clean the lid every month by wiping it down with a clean cloth. It is also important to regularly inspect the harness and straps. Make sure to replace any damaged or lost pieces.
Cord Care Goes a Long Way
While caring for your vacuum’s filters is essential, it is also critical to pay close attention to your unit’s cord. With each day’s use, inspect the entire length of the cord for any damage. If you find any damage to the outer jacket or plug, or if any exposed wire can be seen, DO NOT USE THE UNIT.
Always check to make sure the cord is looped into the cord holder on the waist belt. This helps ensure the cord stays plugged into the unit and helps prevent strain and damage to the plug. Here are a few things to keep in mind regarding cord care:
- NEVER stretch the cord tightly between the vacuum and outlet
- DO NOT use an extension cord with conductors smaller than 16 gauge (AWG) in size
- To reduce power loss, use a 14-gauge extension cord if longer than 50 ft
- Extension cords in poor condition or too small in wire size can pose fire and shock hazards
- DO NOT tie extension cord and power cord together
Following these guidelines will help your ProTeam backpack vacuum cord last longer.
An easy way to take care of your backpack vacuum is to store the unit properly. Janitorial closets can become cluttered with the various tools, chemicals, and supplies necessary for keeping buildings clean; adding a backpack vacuum to the mix can be challenging, but it doesn’t need to be this way.
The ProTeam Vac Station is a great way to protect your vacuum during storage while giving users easy access to the units. Mounted on a sturdy steel adjustable wall bracket, the Vac Station will help keep your janitorial closet uncluttered, all while offering storage for your backpack vacuum accessories, tools, and spare filters.
More Than a Vacuum
At ProTeam, we have built our reputation around cleaning tools you can trust to do the job right. With proper routine maintenance, ProTeam users have reported their vacuums are still in service decades after their purchase date. When you choose ProTeam, you don’t just get a vacuum; you get a tool you can trust to get the job done right and keep doing the job for years to come.